Dog jackets are starting to get attention from many dog owners due to the extra warmth, comfort, and protection that they give their beloved furry buddy. Most owners think that coats are only useful during the winter season. However, you can use a coat under certain circumstances, even though it’s not winter. These circumstances include cold and rainy weather and if your dog has a sensitive skin which means that they feel more cold than the other dogs.
Being apart from your loyal companion can be really tough. That’s why a specially designed dog jacket is available for you so that they won’t be left behind during winter and cold, rainy weather (with limitations, of course). A dog jacket can also function as a coat to keep them safe and protected, especially when your dog has temperature issues. Moreover, it can also protect a loved one with allergies from furry dogs if your dog sheds a lot of fur. It’s more than just a fashion statement. It’s a coat that serves many purposes. Are you planning to purchase one for your dog? You need to consider a couple of things before you proceed. If you wanna know what these are, keep on reading to find out more.
Does Your Dog Really Need a Jacket?
Some dogs can withstand cold weather and winter even without a dog jacket due to the insurmountable amount of fur that they have, while other dogs do not. In this case, before you ultimately decide whether you should purchase a coat, ask yourself: does my dog really need this? In order to answer that question, consider your dog’s breed, age, type of fur, and size. Dogs with thin coats/short-hairs can immensely benefit from dog jackets. Some of the breeds that are suited for this product are:
- Pit Bulls
- Peruvian Inca Orchids
Puppies, toy breeds (small dogs), senior dogs, dogs with big ears, and dogs suffering from injuries and health issues like arthritis, immune system issues, hypothermia, etc. can also gain advantage from wearing a coat whenever it is necessary.
Measuring the Dog Jacket
REMEMBER: Make sure to write down the measurements on a piece of paper for your reference. It would be ideal to write it down every time you finish measuring the necessary parts.
1. First things first, you need to gather these three things:
- Measuring tape
2. Then, make sure that your dog is well-behaved so that you can properly measure their size. It would be ideal to ask someone to help you do this.
3. Measure your dog’s girth by placing the measuring tape on their spine behind their shoulders. Make sure to leave a gap of 1 to 2 inches.
4. Afterwhich, make sure that your dog is standing upright before you measure their length. Then, place the tape from the base of their neck up to the beginning of their tail.
5. Measure their neck by putting the tape on their neck area and leave a gap of 1 to 22 inches.
Features to Look for in a Dog Jacket
1. Material and type of fabric:
Dog jackets are made of different materials. Aside from looking for a coat made from high-quality materials, consider checking the fabric it’s made of since different fabrics are made for different purposes. Remember, choose the type of fabric based on your dog’s need and not for its fashionability. The following are the common types of materials/fabrics and their purposes:
- Water-resistant fabric — waterproof, ideal for rainy weather and wet winter conditions.
- Unlined shells — perfect for mild temperature, drizzles, and windy weather.
- Gauge fleece lining — provides extra warmth for dogs in need of heat during extremely cold weather conditions.
- Synthetic insulation fabric– high-loft, adding warmth to dogs during cold temperatures and dry snow weather conditions.
- Fleece lining: provides comfort and warmth.
This is arguably one of the most important features to look for in a dog coat. If your dog looks so cute and adorable wearing the jacket but cannot move in full motion, then you should ditch the jacket and replace it with a size that fits them perfectly. A jacket with a perfect fit may be hard to find, especially if the jackets are manufactured with standard sizes and not customized. However, a good-fitted dog coat is a must to serve its purpose of giving your dog warmth and comfort without imposing any risks of breathability difficulties, choking hazard due to tight fit on the neck, and other discomfort issues.
3. Machine washable:
If you don’t mind hand-washing your dog’s coat, then opting for a non-machine washable dog jacket would be fine. However, for practical purposes, it would be best to select a jacket that can be loaded in a washing machine to save you time and energy.
4. Special materials:
If you’re paying for a dog jacket, you would want that jacket to stand out from the rest. Thus, it should be stylish and fashionable without compromising your dog’s comfort and ability to move in full-on motion. Moreover, the jacket must have additional features and special materials so that it’s worth the purchase. The following materials should be part of the composition of the dog jacket so that it can serve its function to the fullest:
- D-ring– you would want a dog jacket that has a D ring so that you can easily attach a leash to it.
- Strong buckle– for durability.
- Reflective elements– to keep your dog visible and safe during night time.
- Back zipper– to make it easier to wear.
- Adjustable straps– for adjustability in order to make your dog comfortable.
To make the dog jacket worth the purchase, make sure that the dog jacket is durable enough to withstand any climate and weather conditions. In addition, some dogs like to chew random objects aggressively so you would want to look into that. It would also be nice if the jacket has a warranty policy.
Tip: Check the jacket thoroughly to see if there are any small materials attached to it that can be swallowed by your pet. Avoid buying jackets with choking hazards to keep your pet away from danger.
Have you decided whether or not to purchase a coat for your dog? If so, we have got a recommendation for you! Looking for a dog jacket that is durable, high-quality, 100% safe, easily adjustable and machine washable? A Winter Jacket has it all!