We became familiar with painting by numbers when we were children through the coloring books with marked numbers on each segment in various shapes and sizes. Now that some of us are grown-ups, we ought to think that Paint by Numbers is quite childish for our age because they’re meant for children.
However, it is not only meant to be enjoyed by children, Paint by Numbers are also for adults! Creativity has no age limit, that’s why Paint by Numbers is made for everyone… no skills required! If you’re feeling nostalgic for your childhood, wanting to cultivate a new hobby or if you simply want to relax and avoid the stress of life, then Paint by Numbers is perfect for you!
Now, some of us are probably wondering if Paint by Numbers is considered cheating… however, it is actually not (yes, you read it correctly!). Why? Because Paint by Numbers is an artistic process—according to Dan Robbins, painting by numbers “…is the experience of art, and it brings that experience to the individual who would normally not pick up a brush, not dip it in paint. That’s what it does.” It gives you artistic experience even though you don’t possess actual technical skills; as long as you allow your creativity flow and imagination run wild.
The concept of paint by numbers can actually be traced during the Renaissance period. The idea originally came from Leonardo da Vinci’s teaching system for his apprentices—the patterns are indicated with numbers that represent where the colors should be used in specific projects such as underpainting, preliminary background colors, etc. Fast forward to the 1950s, Dan Robbins became inspired by da Vinci’s teaching method, and thus, the Paint by Numbers kit was born.
Apart from the artistic process you can experience from the kits, Paint by Numbers for adults is one of the simple pleasures in life that could benefit you, especially your mental health. Although the lockdown is over for most of the places in the world, the pandemic is still with us and has caused sadness and even depression to most of us. Paint by Numbers for adults like you and me allows you to increase your dopamine level, a feel-good neurotransmitter in your brain.
A stable mental health is necessary especially in this time of pandemic wherein we are usually socially distant from people, including our family and friends. When doing art, it involves a process of improving not only your mental and emotional health. Apart from the proven benefits you can gain from painting by numbers, it has also come to light that doing art, such as painting by numbers could be used as a form of therapy. It can also bring you more mindfulness. To prove this statement, a research was conducted in 2005 by Nancy A. Curry and Tim Kasser to see if doing art activities that involve coloring can reduce anxiety. The findings of the research suggest that “complex geometric patterns may induce a meditative state that benefits individuals suffering from anxiety.”
Here are some of the reasons why Paint by Numbers for adults like us is very beneficial to our well-being:
1. It reduces your stress and anxiety levels — Paint by Numbers simply allows you to unwind and forget about the world, even if it’s just temporary. By painting, you allow yourself to release certain tensions and transform it into something creative and colorful.
2. It enhances your attention span — Paint by numbers for adults allows you to focus and concentrate at a very deep level. As long as you’re dedicated to it, you sometimes forget to glance at the clock because you’re focused and enjoying what you’re doing. By allowing yourself to be distracted from the stress of this life, you also allow yourself to be proactive when you’re painting by numbers as well.
3. It stimulates brain movement and activity — To put it simply, Paint by Numbers for adults keeps you active especially when you’re bored. With painting, it helps you enhance your coordination, it boosts your memory recollection skills and it sharpens your mind through visualizing and implementing concepts. Handling the paintbrush allows mobility of your hands and fingers which promotes dexterity as well. It also promotes critical thinking too! Nothing’s better than spending your time doing something worthwhile.
4. It gives you an optimistic outlook towards life — If you’re doing something worthwhile, something you really enjoy, it brings you positivity and something to look forward to. Painting gives you the creative freedom to express yourself and turn it into something wonderful. With Best Paint by Numbers, we offer you custom art to help you cherish joyful memories. Don’t forget to frame your finished artwork once it’s done to remind you to always look on the brighter side of life!
5. It fosters emotional growth — Painting is like a journey of self-discovery and because of that, you experience growth in your emotional intelligence, helping you understand your emotional state, moods and feelings. As long as you let your emotions flow through painting, you will achieve balance and harmony between your mind and heart.
To quote Bob Ross, all you need to paint is a few tools, a little instruction, and a vision in your mind—Best Paint by Number provides you the basic materials, the guide (but of course you know the instructions very well!) and the artistic freedom.
If you feel mentally drained and exhausted, now is the time to relax and have fun with Best Paint by Numbers! You might feel dazed at first if it’s your first time, perhaps you think that the image doesn’t make sense… it’s all normal to think that in the beginning. As long as you dedicate yourself and your time to it, all your efforts will be worth it! You will feel the strong sense of accomplishment and achievement in the end.