TYPES OF PET ACCESSORIES
As regards the types of pet accessories, there are a lot of ways to classify them, but these are usually based on function.
- Restraint accessories
- Feeding accessories
- Grooming accessories
- Transportation accessories
Examples of the restraint accessories include:
1. Neck collar: They’re a circular or round piece of material placed around a dog’s neck to serve varying purposes such as identification, medical history, home address and owner’s contact, easy handling, among many other things. They are available in different forms such as metal, rubber, cloth, and leather.
2. Chain: They are strong, chord-like materials used to restrict pet movement to a particular area. They exist in metal form, leather form, metal with padded handle, nylon form or rope form. They usually have a buckle hook end that is attached to the neck collar and the other end may be a buckle head or a re-adjustable head for tying down.
3. Leash: It is a rope or lengthened chord-like material used to walk pets at a controlled pace. It eases the activity involved in exercising pets via walks or light running. Just like the chain, they are made in varying forms such as metal chords with padded handles, fabrics, rubber, rope, intertwined cotton-like materials.
As the name implies, these are the equipment used for feeding pets such as water bowls or buckets and food bowls or through. They can be plastic, metal, ceramic and stainless steel forms. The feeding accessories can be MANUAL or AUTOMATIC (those that dispense food or water by itself)
These are the accessories used for aesthetic effects on pets, combing of pet hair, trimming or cutting of hair and nails, bathing of pets, etc. Equipment for combing pet hair include pet hair brush, comb, furminator. Equipment for trimming of hair of high to medium furry pets include clean sterile grooming scissors and pet specific hair clippers. Equipment for bathing pets include shampoo, bar soap, conditioner. These also include pet deodorant or perfume.
Transportation accessories can vary from freight carriage to collapsible cages to car pet restraint seat belts, to seat barricades to pet blankets and beds, toys, and playpens, to mention a few.
TAKING CARE OF PET ACCESSORIES: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Basic care for most of the accessories includes: Storing them in clean dry warm places, as well as cleaning the accessories with soap and water. These are the ways to take care of your pet’s accessories:
Clean to remove debris by soaking it in a mixture of water and pet-friendly shampoo for 10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and let it dry before using again. Do this regularly.
- Keep in a cool, dry place after use
- Wash routinely.
- Lubricate the buckle hook to prevent rust.
- Untangle its length after use.
- Keep in a clean place
- Ensure it is not accessible to pets in order to prevent damage.
- Wash regularly, especially when dirty and after vigorous use or when stained.
- Wash all feeding troughs and bowls immediately after use
- Keep in a clean and dry place
- Keep away from rodents and all other vectors or insects
- Always ensure it is covered face-down when not in use.
- Wash and store in a clean place regularly
- Ensure joints of the nail clipper are lubricated regularly to prevent rust.
Ensure the joints of the transportation accessories are lubricated regularly to prevent rust.