Most owners only want a dog bowl that gets the job done: so long as it’s able to feed their beloved pet conveniently, then it should be fine. However, there are different types of bowls for a reason: to suit your dog’s needs and your preferences as an owner. They come in multiple shapes and sizes, alongside pros and cons that can help you in selecting the best type of bowl for your dog. Moreover, there are certain aspects that you should consider before buying the best type of bowl for your dog. To know all these and more, continue reading this article all about dog food bowls.
Even though your dog couldn’t care less about the bowl it eats from, so long as he is able to eat properly, your pooch would not pay attention regarding the bowl’s type, size, color, and shape. After all, a bowl is just a bowl. But that doesn’t mean that as owners, we shouldn’t pay attention to its features, quality, durability, and material. To make sure that your dog is living the best possible life, we have curated a list of the most common dog food bowls alongside their pros and cons to help you decide which is the best type of bowl for your dog. Let’s get started!
Which One is the Best Type of Bowl for Your Dog?
1. Stainless steel dog bowl:
Due to its price and durable quality, many owners think that this is the best type of bowl for your dog. It does the job real well: it feeds your dog without having to worry that it’s going to break. Moreover, it’s not gonna break your budget either because the price tag is usually affordable. Typical stainless steel bowls are priced between $10 to no more than $20. Thus, the stainless feature of this bowl helps to avoid corrosion and rust, which makes it a safe place for food and water to be placed in.
- Very durable
- Easy to clean
- Available in different sizes appropriate for your dog’s size
- Not suitable for puppies
- Not suitable for outdoor use
2. Slow feeder dog bowl:
This is the best type of bowl for your dog if they have a habit of eating too fast simply because they lack self-control. The concept behind this puzzle-like bowl is to help your dog to eat slower by making them “solve” the puzzle bowl as they eat their food. When they munch their food in a very short period of time, they tend to ask for more food because it doesn’t feel like enough for them despite feeding them the appropriate food portion suited for their health. Large consumption of food can make them prone to bloat, obesity, and other illnesses and slow feeder bowls are designed to help them break such habits.
- Aids your dog to eat 10x slower than the usual
- Features a non-slip bottom to prevent the bowl from moving
- High-quality and durable plastic
- Helps in stimulating the dog’s brain
- Hard to clean when washed by hand
- Not suitable for dogs with short snouts and puppies
3. Portable dog bowl:
Some owners like to travel with their loyal companion for long hikes, to trailer parks, and wherever else. Bringing a regular sized-bowl can be inconvenient, especially if you want your bag to be as lightweight as possible. Hence, a portable dog bowl is very helpful for the dog owners on the go to make sure that they’re not missing their dog’s feeding schedule. What’s great about these bowls is that they’re dishwasher-friendly and collapsible as they often come with a binder clip so that you can attach it to your bag or belt. If you’re looking for the best portable dog bowl that is made of high quality materials, then you should consider buying a portable dog bowl– it’s collapsible, cost-effective, and easy to carry! It comes with a clip binder so that you can attach it outside your bag, jeans, etc.
- Easy to use
- Easy to clean
- Easy access for your dog
- Super lightweight
- The bowl size might not be able to cater for the amount of food your dog needs
- Some portable dog bowls are made of plastic and not silicone
4. Elevated dog bowl:
If you’re looking for something suitable for larger breeds, then this is the best type of bowl for your dog. This type of feeder consists of a stand that comes with two bowls made of either ceramic, stainless, or plastic.
- Less slouching on your dog’s part
- Promotes better digestion for your dog
- Prevents bowl tipping
- Easier feeding
- Quite expensive
- Not suitable for fast-eating dogs
5. Ceramic dog bowl:
These stylish bowls surely make a statement. Since it’s a heavier material compared to stainless steel or plastic, ceramic bowls are not easy to move around, so you don’t have to worry about having your dog pushing the bowl.
- Classy and stylish
- Comes with different handcrafted design
- Some ceramic bowls are dishwasher-friendly
- Expensive compared to stainless steel and plastic
- Shatter easily
- Some ceramic bowls are not food-friendly due to the coating material used in the bowl
What are the Aspects to Consider When Selecting The Best Type of Bowl for Your Dog?
- Find a dog bowl that is appropriate for the size of your dog.
- Consider your budget. You do not want to overspend on a dog bowl.
- The quality of the bowl is the most important thing, so make sure that it’s durable, food-safe, easy-to-clean, and hard to accumulate bacteria.
- The material of the dog bowl matters as well.
- Consider the eating habit of your dog: is he a slow eater or a fast eater?
- Take note of their food consumption. You don’t want to purchase a bowl that is too small for their meals.
A bowl may just be an object that holds the food of your dog, but it can also put your pet’s health in danger if you select the wrong kind. Even though it all boils down to your preferences, always put your dog’s needs first and be sure that the bowl is veterinarian-approved, safe for consumption, high quality, and well priced.